Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just to keep you interested...


Found this on CollegeHumor.com, a Web site that is 100 percent inappropriate for discussion in J420, but I thought it was funny.

See here's one of those editorial decisions I might second-guess. Why is the allowance of alcohol sales in the county bigger news than the first black president of the United States?

But then again, I don't live in Erath County.

After doing a little more research, I found that Erath County was one of 35 dry counties in Texas. The election results PDF was still posted on the county's home page, and John McCain won the popular vote by nearly 60 percent. So basically, a pretty conservative part of town.

The last time the county had tried to repeal prohibition was 26 years prior, and it lost by a wide margin.

I could only find one online story about the campaign to allow the sale of alcohol in the county, but it was very debated petition at the time.

So I guess this was pretty big news at the time, but I also have to assume that this is a conservative newspaper unwilling to play up Obama's victory... I mean, look at the graphic above the nameplate.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though... maybe through their eyes and the eyes of their readers, the sales of alcohol was the bigger news on Nov. 5, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment